Thursday, December 30, 2010

After 48 hours on a new continent, in new living quarters and being completely immersed in a new culture, we are already in love with South Africa. Our 20 hour trip was long, but really not all that bad. I was glad that I had no small children to entertain and keep happy. We arrived in Atlanta with just enough time to hurry to the gate where we would depart for Johannesburg. We loved chatting with the 5 Elders who were headed to the MTC in Johannesburg. One of them was Elder Justin Walker, who attended Highland High with Tenery. We sat next to Dee who was heading home to surprise his parents whom he hadn't seen for two years. He is a YSA with a head on his shoulders, quite religious and is the perfect candidate for the gospel. As we ended our flight, it was finally light enough to see what we were flying over. We flew over the desert of Namibia and then some civilizations in Boswana. I took several photos from the air with the perfect combination of a clean window on the plane and the perfect amount of sunlight.

Elder and Sister Wood picked us up from the airport along with their son and daughter-in-law who had come to visit. The steering wheel on the right of the car and driving in the left lane takes some getting used to even as a passenger. I haven't driven yet--we just got our car this evening. Even as a passenger though, the turns feel different and catch you a bit off guard.

Dad has spent the last two days in the Area Office. I have no assignment yet because we were not expected to be here until next week. I used the time to clean and freshen the apartment, shop for groceries and settle in. I had to rehang pictures and remove unwanted extras and shift the furniture to a cozy conversational setting. It has become our home. I plan to do the master bedroom African when I can find some fabric that suits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment